Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Installment #29 - I was Adopted and have 5 Siblings I've Never Met


I was given up at birth for adoption. Born August 1958, my new parents brought me home on Halloween 1958! About 20 years ago, I needed medical information, so I got what I could from the agency, Catholic Charities, in Jacksonville, Florida. To my astonishment, I discovered that my Portuguese birth mother had 5 other children - I had 4 older half-brothers and a younger half-sister! The guys were born in 1951, 1952, and twins in 1954. The girl was born in 1960.

It's unknown if they ever knew anything about me - back in those days, adoption wasn't as widely accepted and open as it is now. Sure, I'm curious as to what they look like, but I hesitate constantly as to whether or not I should try to locate them because I fear disrupting or upsetting their lives. I'm sure I don't have the same attitude or feelings about our mother as they do.

So, when I googled 'adoptees' I checked ten websites and found them all to be as safe as can be. Here are my results:

GOOD:
If you know any of them, please notify me, not them! Thanks. It will be up to me as to whether I inform them of my existence or not.

Probably not.



No comments:

Post a Comment